Thursday, September 19, 2024

Memphis

 Memphis

June 18, 2022 by Stevie G

Drove east from Dallas on to Tennessee. We were kinda waiting to leave there, our place was small and cramped, the heat was stifling, and the city was overwhelming. Gettin’ out on the open road always feels good know what I’m sayin’?


Had to stop over in Little Rock to see the Bill Clinton library. Had a beer and some tacos afterwards, leaving Little Rock with a pleasant warm feeling. I’d like to go back and check it out more sometime.


Memphis felt so open and comfortable after staying in Dallas. Still hot, but we had space now, or at least that’s how it felt and it felt pretty good.


Here’s something I really missed and had in Memphis – a grocery store within walking distance. This made me very happy, to be able to walk for 5 minutes to go get some groceries. Let me tell that is fine livin’, the good life.


Memphis has a lot of old buildings, kinda feels like you’re in a time warp back to the 60’s at times. Things are kinda shitty, but cool. That is what Beale Street felt like when we went down there. Kinda like a mini version of Bourbon Street.


I ate a bunch of food in Memphis and probably gained a few pounds. But when you are around BBQ and and burgers cooked in 100 year old grease you indulge a little bit.


We only spent a week in Memphis, and maybe that is enough. The guy at a souvenir shop said as much – “First time in Memphis”


“Yeah, but just for a week.”


“You can see all of Memphis in a week.”


Probably true, but I appreciated the sights and sounds, the slow pace of the people, and I really enjoyed the fact I could not understand what a lot of the locals were saying. Like I really had to pay attention and ask them to repeat themselves. Fascinating accents, and you feel like you are someplace different (at least for me, being more of a northerner I guess).


Saw Graceland and a good chunk of the city, but I’d like to go back. Still gotta check out that weird pyramid they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment