Thursday, September 19, 2024

Leavin'

 

Leavin’

Ang and I spent the past 12 years in Seattle. It was pretty swell. But now as I prepare to leave, packing the last few boxes in an empty apartment, it kinda feels like the past 12 years didn’t happen. Like I was Han Solo permafrosted er something. And all the working and traveling and friendships were just a dream.

There is an old SNL skit with Chris Farley as Matt Foley, a motivational speaker. To help kids from making poor life choices he warns them of the consequences, primarily that they will end up LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Nowadays, living in a van down by the river is a more worthwhile life goal for many, myself included. But instead of taking the “Vanlife” approach (ie living in a bonerific van and presumably, spending your days taking photos of your barefeet inside a van, looking out at a mountain) we are just moving out of our place. Instead of living/sleeping/cooking in a van, we are going to do those things in houses.

That is basically it. We moved out. The basic premise is that Seattle is an expensive city, and we can live in most places for the same or less on a short-term basis. I believe Seattle is a world-class city and truly enjoy it and the surrounding areas. The nature you can experience within a few hours drive really is pretty great. But yeah, 12 years. It’s a good round number and I think if it had been 13 years I would have stayed forever.

I really hate to use the term “Digital Nomad” – but that gives a reference point for what we are doing. I’ve seen some news articles using this term, but seems most are about ski bums or mountain climbers who moved to Utah. I prefer walking and riding bikes.

I would say we are just “traveling” but that’s not quite right since we are going to continue to work (remotely). So maybe digital nomad is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment